Thursday, February 11, 2010

megu megu.

Another restaurant week stop: MEGU NY.

ze entrance.

ice buddha. what a waste of $.
I really like the flower petals in the water though...totally not a waste of $.

compliments of the chef.

tofu cream cheese on rice crackers. Sounds gross to those of you who are not so fond of the soy, but tofu really takes on the flavor of anything it is made with. There is only the slightest hint of tofu flavor. Mostly it is just creamy, yummy cream cheese.

sautéed scallops w. foie gras teriyaki sauce.

The scallops were unimpressive, but the sauce! The sauce is undeniably good. It really doesn't help writing this blog while I am starving. My salivary glands are working at its max.
Anyways, the sauce was absolutely amazing. The t-sauce's easily identifiable and biting flavor really complimented the foie gras, which I am a huuuuuge fan of. Unmercifully stuff a duck with fat and I will surely eat its liver. I wanted to take my finger and wipe the plate down, but I must be lady-like. Especially in the presence of Kei. He'd have a field day with that act...

crispy kanzuri shrimp.

Light tempura battered shrimp, flash fried, glazed with spicy kanzuri sauce, and topped with shredded scallions.
This appetizer was thoroughly pleasing. Everything about it was oh so right and oh so pleasant to my taste buds. I really enjoyed how it was lightly battered, but still crispy and tender. How do you achieve all of this in one dish? Perhaps with the flash frying.
The kanzuri glazing sauce, which is a mixture of Japanese chili peppers, yuzu, and salt, provided just the right amount of heat. For all of you spicy rookies, it's a manageable dish and won't leave you running for a glass of milk.

kobe steak served on MEGU signature river stone grill.*

Woah...everyone should go to try this. I go to some places expecting food to be presented in a certain manner. I don't want sauce stains on my plate or even a speck of ground pepper out of place. Such a lush--I know, but the way this kobe steak is served marks way up on my aesthetics scale. The shallow bowl is filled with polished pebbles and a smooth "signature river stone grill." The stone is topped with thinly sliced daikon, where the small portion of premium meat with garlic chip rests. When the waiter brings over the dish I was not only pleased with the original design, but what happened next was really an experience in itself. The waiter held a small sauce pot in one hand while igniting the pot with other. Then, he took a spoon and literally scooped fire onto the stone. I was cheesing it like a 5-year-old and I'm surprised I didn't start clapping. haha.

*the pic has a lot of exposure and makes the meat look so cold and hard, mi dispiace :(

fiyyaaaah.

juicy tenderness.
very well cooked. Would turn any vegetarian around.

silver cod with garlic yuan miso.

meh. I ate it, but it's nothing to rant and rave about. Does anyone want to drop some knowledge on me about what yuan miso is? I understand yuan is a type of Chinese currency, butttt what is yuan miso. This dish came with a bowl of "platinum rice." Everyone go and eat MEGU cause they have platinum rice, it's totally on a different level than the nishiki rice I eat at home.

kidddding.

No comments:

Post a Comment