Saturday, February 20, 2010

$0.80=complete satisfaction

With more than two hours left to kill in Chinatown, what did I decide to do? Eat some pork buns. I sat in Starbuck's trying to find bakeries worthy of a blog and came across Mei Li Wah. For some reason the name sounded familiar...I remembered reading about this Chinatown jewel on Christine's google map of tasty places to eat (thank you). Placing my faith in Christine's taste, I decided to try this place out.
I was not let down.
For $0.80 a piece, I was VERY content. I suppose getting anything in NYC for $0.80 should be satisfying so this may not be saying much, but really. Just go and see for yourself.

(L) baked pork bun
(R) steamed pork bun

hawt sauce.

I really liked how this bakery had receptacles that kept their pork buns warm and fresh as opposed to the likes of Canal Street Bakery who wrap their pork buns in those plastic cello film wraps. Ych. My pork buns were nice, warm, and a decent size as well (a little bigger than McD's bfast sammich). The steamed pork bun is prepared with a hearty amount of dough, but that is just fine. The sweet flavor of the soft and chewy dough tastes good on its own. The baked pork bun is slightly glazed and has an exterior that offers a little crisp with each bite. OoOo and the pork is tender and dabbled with flavorful sauce. Dough+Pork+Sauce=A HIT. Just put some of the hot sauce on it and BAM! yummy goodness. Best $1.60 ever spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment